Day Two 11:56am: Kettleman City–Bravo Farms

Community, Travel

So Bravo Farms is this tourist gift shop strip mall place just behind the gas stations in Kettleman City. At first glance it looks as if someone asked Jonah Hex to decorate Casa de Fruta. Rugged storefronts. A wooden walkway. A water tower, because you need one of those. Train stuff. A waterwheel. And a […]

June 25, 2016

Cornell University, AAPI Heritage Month 2016: More Than Just Yellow

Community

“With APAA’s #MoreThanJustYellow Campaign, we wish to highlight traditionally underrepresented Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the API community. The silenced histories of these groups have lead to injustices such as the exclusion of brown folks, erasure of Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders, and anti-blackness. Let’s critically examine who in the API community gets to […]

June 1, 2016

In Whose Image: Trans and Genderqueer Writers on Magic, Spirituality, and (the Bodies of) G-d: My AWP Talk on Magical Realism Magic, and Trans Identity

Community, Readings and Events

(Delivered at the 2016 AWP, 4/1/2016) Thank you everyone for coming! Gosh, it’s the last day of the AWP. I kind of have a love-hate relationship with the AWP. I think I feel that way with a lot of things that purport to have a purpose, but are often chaotic, huge, and relentless. One realizes this […]

April 10, 2016

Trans Day of Visibility 2016–”The Woman of Water Dreams” from Why Dust Shall Never Settle Upon This Soul

Books and Publications, Community, Why Dust Shall Never Settle Upon This Soul

Thank you to Media Diversified for letting me share some of my poetry on this Trans Day of Visibility.  “Media Diversified is a young and growing non-profit organisation which seeks to cultivate and promote skilled writers of colour by providing advice and contacts and by promoting content online through its own platform. Live since July […]

March 31, 2016

Friends at UCSD!!

Community

I was needing mental space, so I went to SD to write. I knew these folks had invited me to chill with them,. so I just asked–and Boom! Instant fun and connection. Thank you to Oscar, Alex, Kailiokaōhialehua, and especially Shane and Sandra! THANK YOU!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/UCSDL…

March 26, 2016

Casey Plett

Community, Random Thoughts at 3 AM

Ok, imagine this. You are a mess. You are crying. All the weight of being trans is crashing down on you and you are thinking you’ve ruined your life and no one will ever love you again. And you call–the editor of the anthology you are a part of? The one who won the Lambda […]

March 21, 2016

Nui Cobalt

Community

Forest Nui Cobalt has been just the best. And we got to hang out in San Pedro and check out some art galleries last time I visited. But what makes me so proud and amazed is how she has channeled her ideals and gifts into a thriving professional life. She is her own boss, and […]

March 21, 2016