Lambda Lit Fest! March 10

Community, Readings and Events

I have been a little behind on the posts. But, Lambda Literary has been working very hard on its first literary festival, right here in Los Angeles. Today, I have the honor of sitting on a panel with Bernard Cooper, D’Lo, Wendy C. Ortiz, Claudia Rodríguez and Terry Wolverton. “In many ways, California has been the leader in the nation for LGBTQ rights, […]

March 11, 2017

Thank you so much to UMass Amherst

Community, Readings and Events

Last month I had the honor of visiting UMass Amherst to inaugurate their trans speakers series! 🙂 I had a wonderful time speaking with different classes on issues of gender, postcolonialism, queer theory, and writing practice. I watched the autumn leaves change. I had an impromptu sushi lunch, and met some awesome people! Here’s the […]

November 23, 2016

Day 3 10:02AM: Online Teaching and Sharing

Community, Travel

I teach online. And today, before I head out to do more queer work, I am reading a stack of essays from my students. Not really a stack. A virtual stack. I am thinking though, of how this conference, is also trying to define itself in a different type of virtual way. What makes a […]

June 27, 2016

Day Two 11:56am: Kettleman City–Bravo Farms

Community, Travel

So Bravo Farms is this tourist gift shop strip mall place just behind the gas stations in Kettleman City. At first glance it looks as if someone asked Jonah Hex to decorate Casa de Fruta. Rugged storefronts. A wooden walkway. A water tower, because you need one of those. Train stuff. A waterwheel. And a […]

June 25, 2016